/ [Comp Sci & Eng Dept]
/ [R J Botting]
Publications for Dr. Richard John Botting
- Software development: Methods, Theories, Training, and Practice.
[ http://www.csci.csusb.edu/dick/ ]
Includes an extensive research bibliography
[ newbib.html ]
and other resources
[ http://www.csci.csusb.edu/dick/samples/ ]
for software developers.
Publications in Computer Reviews
Computer reviews has accepted the following reviews and
published them online:
[ browse_reviewers.cfm?reviewer_id=115728 ]
The following were published in the hard copy version of
- The elements of UML 2.0 style
Ambler S., Cambridge University Press, New York, NY, 2005.Type: Book
(Oct 13 2005)
- Software process modeling (Kluwer International Series in Software Engineering)
Acuna S., Juristo N., Springer-Verlag New York, Inc., Secaucus, NJ, 2005.Type: Book
(Sep 7 2005)
- On approximation measures for functional dependencies
Giannella C., Robertson E. Information Systems 29(6): 483-507, 2004. Type: Article
(Jul 6 2005)
- "Teaching and Learning Ethics in Computer Science: Walking the Walk", ACM SIGCSE Bulletin "Inroads" V37 n1 (Mar 2005) pp342-346.
- Computer Review V46n3(March 2005) published my review #0503-0361
of "Comprehension of diagram syntax: an empirical study of entity
relationship notations" Purchase H., Welland R., McGill M., Colpoys L.
International Journal of Human-Computer Studies 61(2): 187-203, 2004.
- "On the co-evolution of SSADM and the UML", Chapter V in
"Software Evolution with UML and XML"
The Idea Group, Hershey PA & London UK 2005 ISBN 1-59140-462-2
- Computer Reviews V45n12(December 2004) published review #0412-1461
of "Enterprise Patterns and MDA" by Arlow and Neustadt
- At the start of December 2004 I corrected the proofs for
a chapter accepted for publication
in SEWORLD on the relations between SSADM and the UML.
- Computer Reviews V45n8(August 2004)published review #0408-0939
of "Clustering for Petri nets"
By W. Keller, Theoretical Computer Science 308(1-3): 145-197, 2003.
- "Computer Reviews" V45n9 (September 2004) published my review
(Review #0409-1085 ) of
"Mutilated chessboard problem is exponentially hard for resolution"
By Alekhnovich M. ( Theoretical Computer Science 310(1-3): 513-525, 2004).
- On December 31st Computer Reviews published (online) my review of
"Behavioral subtyping relations for active objects", by H Wehrheim, Formal Methods in System Design 23(2): 143-170, 2003.
- Online publication of review in Computer Reviews of
"More Success and Failure Factors in Software Reuse" Menzies T., Di
Stefano J., IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering 29(05):
- Published review #0310-1036 in Computer Reviews (October) of T.
Gardner "Inheritance Relationships for Disciplined Software
Construction" Springer-Verlag London Uk 2002
- Published review #0307-0653 in Computer Reviews (July)) of book "Extreme
programming perspectives" by Succi, Marchesi Williams, and Wells
published on Computer Reviews web site.
- Published review 0305-0466 in Computer Reviews (May)of paper
"Improving the scalability of the CORBA event service...." by
K Ho & H. Leong (S P&E 32(5):417-441).
- Published review 0304-0311 in Computer Reviews (April)
of Ellen Gottesdiener's "Requirements by Collaboration".
- Review #0301-0062 in Computer Reviews(January) of paper "An automated method for distributed systems software based on model extraction", IEEE Trans SE, No 4(April 2002).
- Review #0301-0108 in Computer Reviews(January) of paper "A State-of-art survey on software merging", IEEE Trans SE, No 5(May 2002).
- Computer Reviews item #33757: "Hyperauthorship: A Postmodern Perversion or Evidence of a Structural Shift in Scholarly Communication Practices?" by Blaise Cronin ( Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, Vol. 52, No. 7 (2001), pgs. 558-569).
- Paper "Stochastic Models of Software Evolution" in Volume I of Proc SCI'2002, pages 23-27.
- Book review #0205-0250 in Computer Reviews (online and hardcopy) of "Branching Programs and Binary Decision Diagrams" by Ingo
Wegener (SIAM 2000) Volume 43 No 5
ACM Computing Reviews 2001 Volume 42
- Review 0103-0094 of "Software Product Lines: Experience and Research directions" edited by Patrick Donohoe (Kluwer Acad Pub, Norwell MA 2000) ISBN 0-79237-940-3
- Letter IEEE Software Magazine (Sep/Oct 2000 pp11) on Object-Oriented Analysis and Design.
- Joint paper: "ROOT Project: An integration pf an OOA/D
Methodology in the Computer Science Curriculum", Drs. Botting, Concepcion, and Mr. Darryl Scroggins (student), Proceedings of the SCI'2000, Vol II, pages 401-405.
- Letter IEEE Software Magazine (Mar/Apr 2000 pp8-9) on Object-Oriented Analysis and Design.
ACM Computing Reviews 2000 Volume 41
- Review 0009-0517 of Sistla, Gyuris, & Emerson's Paper on symmetry-based model checking in ACM Trans Sofw Eng Methodolo V9n2 (Apr 2000) pp133-166
- Review 0006-0410 of Krishnan & Kellner "Measuring Process Consistency: Implications for Reducing Software Defects", IEEE Trans Software Engineering, V25n6(Nov/Dec 1999)pp800-815.
- Review of Janne Ropponen & Kalle Lyytinen, "Components of Software Development Risk: How to address them? A Project Manager Survey", IEEE Trans Softw Eng V26n2(Feb 2000)pp98-112 ), Submitted June 21st 2000, published as CR0004-0298 in September 2000.
- Review CR 0003-0184 of "Creating High Performance Software Development Teams" by Frank P Ginac (Prentice Hall 2000) submitted April 12th 2000 published in March 2000 issue.
- Letter published by IEEE Magazine on Object-Oriented Analysis and Design( submitted November 1999)
- Reply published in ACM SIGPLAN Notes(Dec 1999, Vol 34 no 12 p38) to comment on earlier note in SIGPLAN Notices.
- Note published by ACM Special Interest Group on Program Languages SIGPLAN Notices V34n6(Jun 1999)pp82-83
- Request for Comment published in ACM SIGSOFT Software Engineering Notes Vol 24 No 4(July 1999)page 4
ACM Computing Reviews 1999 Volume 40 ( 7 reviews published)
- Review number 9912-0921 December of paper "Evaluating emerging software development technologies: Lessons learned from assessing aspect-oriented programming" by Murphy, Walker, and Baniassad (IEEE Trans SE-25n4(Jul 1999)
- Review Number 9910-0765 October of a Book by Watts Humphrey on the Team Software Process.
- Review Number 9909-0702 September of a Book by Felix Redmill on Evolutionary Delivery of Software
- Review Number 9907-0526 July of Paper in IEEE Trans Software Engineering
- Review Number 9906-0403 June of Book by Marc Hamilton of Software Development
- Review Number 9904-0230 April of Book by Ian Graham on Object-Oriented Software Development.
- Review Number 9902-0108 February
- For reviewing draft of J M Morris and A Bunkenburg's Specificational Functions, TOPLAS Vol 21 No 3(May 1999)pp677-701
- Letter: "Earthquake Insurance", IEEE Computer Magazine, Vol31 No 2(Feb 1998)p115
ACM Computing Reviews 1998 Volume 39 ( 5 published )
- Review Number 9811-0894 November
- Review Number 9810-0801 October
- Review Number 9807-0523 July
- Review Number 9805-0281 May
- Review Number 9805-0337 May
Paper: On the Economics of Mass-Marketed Software, Proceedings
of the 19th International Conference of Software Engineering, Boston, May 1997.
[ Botting97a in newbib ]
- Usenet message reprinted in the ACM SIGSOFT
Software Engineering Notes Vol 22 No 2(Mar 1997)Page 11.
ACM Computing Reviews 1997 Volume 38 ( 6 published )
- Review Number 9712-0996 December
- Review Number 9709-0695 September
- Review Number 9709-0633 September
- Review Number 9707-0519 July
- Review Number 9705-0324 May
- Review Number 9702-0118 February
- Short Paper:
IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering. Vol 22, No 12 (Dec 1996) page 911
Comments on "A Formal Semantics for Object Model Diagrams"
ACM Computing Reviews 1996 Volume 37 ( 5 published )
- Review Number 9611-0907 November
- Review Number 9609-0695 September
- Review Number 9608-0552 August
- Review Number 9607-0502 July
- Review Number 9604-0234 May
ACM Computing Reviews 1995 Volume 36( 5 published )
- Review Number 9512-0963 December
- Review Number 9511-0843 November
- Review Number 9506-0430 June
- Review Number 9503-0137 March
- Review Number 9501-0006 January
- Article: Confessions of a computing chameleon, IEEE Computer Magazine (Open Channel) Sep 1994
- Letter: When More is Expected of Programmers, IEEE Software Magazine Page 9 Sep 1994
ACM Computing Reviews 1994 Volume 35 ( 6 published)
- Review number 9412-0891 December
- Review number 9409-0637 September
- Review number 9408-0498 August
- Review number 9407-0447 July
- Review number 9405-0299 May
- Review number 9402-0062 February
- Article: Do you want you program in a Glass, IEEE Computer Magazine (Open Channel) Sep 1993
ACM Computing Reviews 1993 Volume 34 (4 published)
- Review number 9311-0880 November
- Review number 9310-0795 October
- Review number 9305-0296 May
- Review number 9305-0276 May
- Theory & Practice of Software Engineering, (Abstract), Proc. ACM
CSC 1989, St. Louis, KY, Feb 1989
- On the Analysis of Algorithms When the Data is Held on Disk,
the Western Educational Computing Conference, November
- A Critique of Pure Functionalism, pp148-153 , Proc. Fourth Int'l
Workshop on Software Specification and Design, April 1987,
IEEE Catalog No. TH0181-8, LA CA.
- Regular Expressions, Relations and Software, Part I - Practice, Proc
Western Educational Computing Conference, CECC, Nov 1987
- Regular Expressions, Relations and Software, Part II - Theory, Proc
Western Educational Computing Conference, CECC, Nov 1987
- Letter: Object-oriented front-end, p3, IEEE Software, May 1987
- Into the Fourth Dimension: An Introduction to Dynamic Analysis and
Design, SE Notes, 11, 2 pp36-48, Apr 1986,
ACM SIG Software Engineering
- Novel Security Techniques for On-line Systems, Comm ACM Vol 29 No 5
pp 416-417, May 1986
- On Prototypes vs Mockups vs Breadboards (Letter), SE Notes, Jan 1985,
ACM SIG Software Engineering
- An Eclectic Approach to Software Engineering, pp25-29, Proc Third
Int'l Workshop on Software Specification and Design, Aug 1985
- On the Evolution of Software for Faculty, Western Educational Computing
Conference, Nov 1985
- FRED - The Friendly Editor, Western Educational Computing Conference,
- Generalization - An Alternative to Error Messages, Western Educational
Computing Conference, Nov 1984
[ old_publications.html ]
. . . . . . . . . ( end of section Publications) <<Contents | End>>
[ Recent Presentations in VITAble ]
Work in Progress
Papers and essays:
[ http://cse.csusb.edu/dick/papers/ ]
State of the Practice
Studied with Cynthia Farquhar of how the Unified Modeling Language
is used. Thesis defended 2005, presentation in conference planned.
Developing with Sirisha Vadaparthy a tool to aid the development of
Semantic Table analytical
proofs for formal methods of software development.
Developed with Humaira Rahim a tool for the collaborative development
of IEEE Standard Software Requirement Specifications.
Documented with Paul Conrad part of the syntax of PHP as an online resource.
. . . . . . . . . ( end of section Publications for Dr. Richard John Botting) <<Contents | End>>