>> [Comp Sci Dept]
>> [R J Botting]
>> [New Bibliographic Items]
|| [Site Search]
|| [Bibliography Search]
Fri May 20 14:17:07 PDT 2005
- Charalambos L Iacovou & Albert S Dexter
- Surviving IT Project Cancellations
- Commun ACM V48n4(Apr 2005)pp83-86
- =SURVEY Delphi 36 IT CONSULTANTS
- Gives list of the 18 top ranked actions for when a projects fail:
- prepare a communication plan to contain misinformation and rumor and so limit damage
- Perform a post mortem to determine causes of failure
- Form a contingency plan with sponsor
- Modify process to fit discoveries
- Reflect on your own role and responsibilities.
- Dursun Delen & Nikunj P Dala & Perakath C Benjamin
- Integrated Modeling: The key to Holistic understanding of the enterprise
- Commun ACM V48n4(Apr 2005)pp107-112
- =ADVERT ERP MODELING TOOL PROCESS FUNCTION DATA COST ONTOLOGY PQRST GERAM IDEF CPM MODELMOSAIC REPOSITORY
- GERAM::= See http://www.cit.gu.edu.au/~bernus/taskforce/
- Peter J Denning
- Is Computer Science Science?
- Commun ACM V48n4(Apr 2005)pp27-31
- =HISTORY =SURVEY SCIENCE ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY ART
- Simulated dialog with a skeptic.
- Notes internal doubts and discussion.
- Notes the credibility problem of research claims that were not tested before publication, and practical predictions that did not pan out.
- David A Patterson
- The State of Funding for New Initiatives in Computer Science and Engineering
- Commun ACM V48n4(Apr 2005)pp21-25
- =HISTORY COMPUTER RESEARCH 1965..2000
- Tracks the interaction between academic and industrial research plus the development of products and markets -- from the National Academy of Sciences.
- Notes the decreasing rate of funding rate for CISE research proposals.
- SPUR::manifesto="Security, Privacy, Usability, and Reliability".
- Argues for the need for new initiatives and new ways to get funding for Information Technology research.
- Hal Berghel
- The Two Sides of ROI: Return on investment vs Risk of incarceration
- Commun ACM V48n4(Apr 2005)pp15-20
- =ESSAY RISK PRIVACY SECURITY ETHICS PROFESSION LEGISLATION HIPPAA GLB SOX
- New 2000 legislation puts CIOs and CEOs at risk of prosecution for not making systems secure.
- GLB::="Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act of 1999", privacy and security of nonpublic personal info .
- SOX::="Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002", accountability
- Also good description of