[CSUSB]>> [CNS]>> [CSE]>> [R J Botting]>> biba.php
Bibliographic Item (1.0)
- Dave Thomas & Andy Hunt
- Open Source Source Ecosystems
- IEEE Software Magazine V21n4(Jul/Aug 2004)pp89-91
- =ARTICLE OPEN SOURCE PROCESS PEOPLE
- Open source projects can be good or can fail... describes properties of
successful open source processes.
- They are a meritocracy based on producing high quality code. Classic
organizational approach is more like a communist command economy.
- Starts with a single coder scratching an itch. Attracts help if the code
doesn't smell. Helpers accepted if their code is OK.
- To be sure of scratching the Right itch in an organization: start with a
pair of buddies: sponsor+coder, or use the work-with ("sit by Nelly")
- Rather than filling slots in an organization charts (architect, designer,
coder, tester,...) people volunteer to work on functional areas
(persistence, User interface,...).
- In an organization try setting up small teams and letting them self-organize.
- Motivators: Pride, ambition, challenges, better tools, community.
Search for bibliographic items containing a matching string.
Search for a specific bibliographic item by name.
To see the complete bibliography (1Mb+) select:[Bibliography]