[CSUSB]>> [CNS]>> [CSE]>> [R J Botting]>> biba.php
Bibliographic Item (1.0)
- Graeme Shanks & Elizabeth Tansley & Ron Weber
- Using Ontology to Validate Conceptual Models
- Commun ACM V46n10(Oct 2003)pp85-89 CR 0404-0429
- =ADVERT ONTOLOGY MODEL REALITY ERD
- Abuses the term "Grammar" to mean "modelling language". Gives a bad SSADM model but doesn't show corrected one.
- Notes risks of seeing everything as tables of data. Some relationships are best expressed as rules/code rather than tables.
- Quotes Bunges's theory of ontology that distinguishes: things, properties of things, states of things, laws, events in things, and couplings.
- Critiques ERD as not including rules.
- Important to:
- Distinguish rules from relationships
- Model composites and aggregates as entities not relationships.
- Don't model relationships using attributes.
- Don't use optional attributes in entities.
- Distinguish objects/instances from classses.
- Distinguish things from their properties.
Search for bibliographic items containing a matching string.
Search for a specific bibliographic item by name.
To see the complete bibliography (1Mb+) select:[Bibliography]