[CSUSB]>> [CNS]>> [CSE]>> [R J Botting]>> biba.php
Bibliographic Item (1.0)
- David L Parnas
- Inside RISKS: Risks of Undisciplined development
- Commun ACM V53n10(Oct 2010)pp2527-
[ 1831407.1831419 ]
- =ESSAY ENGINEERING DISCIPLINE vs SLOPPY PROGRAMMING SOFTWARE BUGS
- Engineering designs must be fit for their purpose, conform to standards, handle all foreseeable circumstances (including human error), and be designed with a margin of error for safety.
- Anecdotes of typical problems with software.
- First Describe all possible inputs.
- Second express requirements as disjoint sets of inputs with a common simple rule.
- Then verify no overlaps, and each output is correct in the opinion of stakeholders.
Use simple logic.
- Complications: (1) often need to work with sets of sequences of inputs.
(2) Function names? (3) Output rule may be complex.
- Situation won't change if customers don't stop buying sloppy software.
Search for bibliographic items containing a matching string.
Search for a specific bibliographic item by name.
To see the complete bibliography (1Mb+) select:[Bibliography]