[CSUSB]>> [CNS]>> [CSE]>> [R J Botting]>> biba.php
Bibliographic Item (1.0)
- Manfred Broy
- Can Practitioners neglect theory and theoreticians Neglect practice?
- IEEE Computer V44n10(Oct 2011)pp19-24
- =ESSAY GAP THEORY ENGINEERING
- Theory should help establish terminology, techniques, and measurements.
Practicioners have provided good ideas but where is the scientific tests of these theories?
- Craft, Science, or Engineering?
- Theory should help organize knowledge -- both domain and technical knowledge
- A method/methodology may not have an explicit theory and probably:
does not scle, is too difficult, not well designed, and not cost-effective.
- Theory should be part of a software enginmeers education: operating systems, data bases, protocols, formal languages, semantics,...
- Theory in research: based on empirical data, isolated, vs ad hoc methods.
- We do not need beautiful theories -- we need to solve particular problems.
- Other forms of engineering a based on separate sciences... software engineering
depends on logics and theories of information and computation.
Search for bibliographic items containing a matching string.
Search for a specific bibliographic item by name.
To see the complete bibliography (1Mb+) select:[Bibliography]