[CSUSB]>> [CNS]>> [CSE]>> [R J Botting]>> biba.php
Bibliographic Item (1.0)
- Michael Jackson & Graham Twaddle
- Business Process Implementation: Building Workflow Systems,
- Addison Wesley ACM Press 199? ISBN 0-201-17768-4 3rd hd58.87.j32 1997
- =EXPERIENCE SPECIFICATION MODEL OFFICE WORKFLOW PEOPLE DATA PROCESS FLEXIBLE vs BUSINESS RULES TABULAR GRAPHIC METADATA
- workflow_problem_frame::= following,
- |- (minimal_workflow_frame): The machine supports an office that interacts with an outside world.
- |-The prime business need is to keep track of long term commitments, contracts, and obligations.
- |-There are rigid business rules and flexible activities.
- |-activities are multitasked error correcting that proceed at a human pace.
- |-not safety critical.
(End of Net)
- theoretical_method:= data; process; tasks; workflow.
- In practice incremental and iterative delivery is feasible.
- data:=simple ERD, like SSADM.
- task_types:=initiated performed content
- initiated:=X | T | P | I. X=eXternal, T=Time, P=follows Preceeding, I=Internally.
- performed= A | M, A=Automatically, M=not A, Manually,
- content:= E | K| U | D | O, E=dataEntry, K=checK, U=Update, D=Decision, O=Output.
- Tasks involve entities.
- LC:=" life cycle".
- An entity life cycle is a defined sequence of stages but an entity may not progress thru the stages in such a simple way. Office work may backtrack, hang up, fail, or multitask parts of stages at one time. Stages may not be omitted. Backtracking (a setback) means handling side-effects: beneficent, neutral, and intolerable. cf
- In a stage contains a task that fails then the current life cycle fails and initiates a different one instead.
- Stages determine states: State = ("In" | "Failed" | "Awaiting" | "Halted" ) stage.
- Within a Stage many tasks can execute in parallel. some can spawn (one|many (inclusive | exclusive)) subtasks (sometimes). One subtask can be spawned by many tasks, and a subtasks can restart their parent tasks (in a loop).
- Task states = null; start; (n/a | run | failed | passed). passed states do not spawn subtasks, run states must start their subtasks. Task states determine life-cycle states.
- There are rules for assigning tasks to stages.
- One life cycle can depend on another one. Changing stage depends on one(or all) other linked entities of a given type is|are past a certain stage. Tasks can start and halt other life cycles.
- Entities are placed in classes. Classes form a heterarchy -- multiple inheritance. Also classification entities -- classes of objects each defining a class of object!
- Entities play roles in entity life cycles. roles require only a subset of the attributes, Also several types of entity can play the part in a single role.
- Datasets are structured navigation paths between entity types. from A access one B and many Cs. They are chosen to fit tasks.
- Programs support tasks - within task context and using task content. actions include SET_RESULT, START_LC, SUSPEND_LC, RESUME_LC, CANCEL_LC, SETBACK_LC, WAIT..., SIMPLE_CHECK, COMPLEX_CHECK, SIMPLE_SET, APPLICABLE_WHEN. Some tasks must not be repeated, others may be repeated when backtracking.
- Decision Tables!
- Tasks and life cycle work mainly define wrong sequences. Work flows help get good things done. Work flows are about scheduling, options, menus, and efficiency. Work flows are based on a relational data base:
- Each task is in a stage of a life cycle of an entity.
- Each task has a task_type that has a program, data set, and a set of skills.
- Tasks are related to users who can/should do them by Skills and by stages and departments for example.
- Detailed reporting and so tuning of the workflows.
- Life cycle definitions and the office workflow are also held in the data base. "Process representations become data". Process data is PLANs and FEATUREs.
- The only purpose of documentation is understanding.... but if documentation is in a data base is also useful to the software.
- dick:the office workflow frame fits agile software development process.
Search for bibliographic items containing a matching string.
Search for a specific bibliographic item by name.
To see the complete bibliography (1Mb+) select:[Bibliography]